[mythtv-users] Cool XBox front end topic and front/back end architecture question

Dwight Hubbard dhubbard at dwightandamy.com
Wed Apr 9 15:02:12 UTC 2003

> And if so, what is the benefit to having this
> architecture? Seems like it's just more complicated
> and expensive. I can see that you can have a quieter
> front end. I could also see it being useful for people
> with many TVs who want more then one front end. (But
> even then you could use the server as a front end in
> one location, right?)

The split allows mythtv to be more scaleable since the encode and decode
don't have to be using processor resources on the same machine.  In
addition the recent cvs supports multiple back end servers so
theoretically it's possible to run a multiple back end mythtv system with
more tv tuner cards than any single PC system could handle.