[MythTV-users] Cool Xbox front end topic and front/back end architecture question

Peter Marriott peter at bms.net.au
Thu Apr 10 03:30:40 UTC 2003

1)Xbox mods are of moderate difficulty to install.  www.xbox-scene.com has
heaps of good tutorials that would give you some indication of how hard.
Took me about 2hours first time.  Then about 4 hours to work out that one of
my connections was loose, which a quick re-solder fixed.

2)I currently have to boot into the Xbox mode for DVD playback, but any
Linux DVD player should work, but I haven't tried any yet.

3)My backend was made form bits and pieces I had lying around. (45gig HD,
384MB Ram)  No idea how much it cost.

Split backend to frontend is almost certainly going to cost you more.

For me the reasons the XBOX is great frontend are:
1) I already had the XBOX (so cost was zero)
2) I have had nothing but trouble getting decent TV-out from Video Cards
over the last 3-4 years, so the Xbox's tvout solved that issue for me too.
(ATI tv-out I was happy with under Windows, too difficult under Linux)
3) Here in Aus decent looking Case's cost about the half the price of an
Xbox.
4) The Xbox is very quiet, small and looks OK.
5) I like mucking around with Gadgets.