[mythtv-users] MythTV vs. Freevo

Dwight Hubbard dhubbard at dwightandamy.com
Fri Apr 11 20:30:30 UTC 2003

> My general sense is that Freevo is less feature-filled than MythTV, but
> it does feel a lot more solid to me.  At least, it hasn't crashed on me,
> whereas MythTV crashes regularly.  Not a fair comparison, mind you,
> since I've been using MythTV for 2 days and Freevo for 5 minutes. :)

If you compare just the stability of the two applications I'd say your
estimation of the stability is pretty accurate.  That said, it seems like
Freevo has worked on doing most of the easy stuff for a PVR while MythTV
is working on getting the hard stuff correct.  Considering that and how
quickly mythtv is stablizing I'd say just comparing the stability of the
two platforms is like comparing a bicycle to a Cessena.

Things I like about freevo:
	GUI implemented using a high level language.  This makes sense since for
the most part the gui doesn't require super high performance except for
things like video playback that would have to be implemented as binary
modules written in a compiled language.

	The stable releases include the dependencies necessary to make freevo work.

Things I like about Mythtv
	Mythtv is farther along, it also does most of the difficult functionality
for the PVR for the most part and works fairly well.

	It has been my experience that Mythtv's code is better organized and
easier to follow for someone wanting to contribute.

Things I would like to see from the Freevo project in Mythtv:

	I would like to see working Perl and Python bindings for at least libmyth
and possibly libmythtv.  I think this would really open the project up to
contributions from people who already know perl or python.  It also would
potentially make it simple to create modules that use existing perl or
python modules (say for example a short python program that using the
pykde binding to embed a khtml object in a module for a simple web
browser)