[mythtv-users] MythTV vs. Freevo

Bruce Markey bjm at lvcm.com
Fri Apr 11 20:44:13 UTC 2003

Jason Tackaberry wrote:
> For those that have used both, I'm wondering if anyone can explain your
> experiences and compare/contrast these two pieces of software?  Both
> seem quite good.  I played with Freevo for a few minutes on my PC at
> work (no tuner card, but I'm able to test out movies/mp3/general
> interface).
>
> My general sense is that Freevo is less feature-filled than MythTV, but
> it does feel a lot more solid to me.  At least, it hasn't crashed on me,
> whereas MythTV crashes regularly.

No doubt that this has been your experience. However, for the
past few months, the CVS versions have been fairly stable
and problems are normally fixed quickly. It is possible that
you may be seeing crashes that most others don't see.

For example, I use Debian Sarge which recently updated things
like libc and glib. Apparently, the current qt 3.0.5 Debian
packages don't play nice with the new kids. I had horrible
stability problems with MythTV but noticed it was crashing
on things like freeing memory in libc.

I changed my gnu compilers to version 3.2 and built QT 3.1.2
from source the recompiled MythTV. This fixed most of the myth
crashes. I still see some segfaults but I get random crashes
in other apps so I believe at least some of these are still
a matter of the Sarge updates that still need to be ironed out.

--  bjm