[mythtv-users] Newbie

Charles Mason charles-mason at ntlworld.com
Sun Apr 13 13:59:40 UTC 2003

Ray Parish wrote:

>I have my Nvidia GeForce4 MX s-video going to my tv. What settings do I need
>to have in my XF86Config so the TV is displaying X correctly?
>Here is my XF86Config:
>
>Section "Device"
>    Identifier "Videocard0"
>    Driver "nv"
>    VendorName "Videocard vendor"
>    BoardName "NVIDIA GeForce 4 MX (generic)"
>    VideoRam  65536
>EndSection
>
>Section "Screen"
>    Identifier "Screen0"
>    Device "Videocard0"
>    Monitor "Monitor0"
>    SubSection "Display"
>        Depth 24
>        Modes "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
>    EndSubSection
>EndSection
>
>Section "Monitor"
>    Identifier "Monitor0"
>    VendorName "Monitor Vendor"
>    ModelName   "Generic Television"
>    DisplaySize 400    300
>    HorizSync   30.0 - 95.0
>    VertRefresh 50.0 - 180.0
>    Option "dpms"
>EndSection

Well I am not totally sure but I think you are running the generic
drivers for your geforce card. These lack many of the features of the
offical nivida onse. Not sure if tv out works with generic drivers. You
can tell which you are using because when the xserver starts you see a
huge nivida logo for a second or two if you are using the offical ones.
It is worth installing the offical drivers as it provides hardware
acceleration for Open GL amongst other things.  Nvidia have a new user
friendly installer for there whole ge force range. I think this is the
latest version.

http://www.nvidia.com/view.asp?IO=linux_display_ia32_1.0-4349

I am not sure what you need to enable tv out support though. Although
having the latest drivers certinally would help.  Does anyone know if
you can use tv out with generic drivers.

Charlie