[mythtv-users] Recompiling Redhat kernel

Paul Smith paullocal at pscs.co.uk
Tue Apr 15 09:43:19 UTC 2003

At 08:01 15/04/2003 +0100, you wrote:
>At 18:43 14/04/2003 -0700, you wrote:
>>At 12:59 AM 4/15/2003 +0100, Paul Smith wrote:
>>>I'm trying to recompile the RedHat 9.0 kernel (2.4.20-9) (to include the
>>>latest BTTV) and I'm having real problems running 'make modules'. It's
>>>coming up with millions of compiler errors (not just warnings).

OK, I've got further with WHY this is happening, I just can't see how to
fix it.

KERNEL.H has the line
extern struct notifier_block *panic_notifier_list;

KSYMS.H has the lines
#define __ver_panic_notifier_list       _ver_str(0d5eeb25)
#define panic_notifier_list _set_ver(panic_notifier_list)

obviously,
extern struct notifier_block *_set_ver(panic_notifier_list);
is invalid

(I think '_set_ver' is another macro setting 'panic_notifier_list' to be
'0d5eeb25' but that still makes it equally invalid).

So, I can't see how this could possibly compile... ksyms.ver isn't
generated here as far as I can tell from the timestamps, so I must have
downloaded it like that. I'd have thought RedHat themselves would have used
the same source, and thus had the same problems, but obviously not..

I'm going to go and see if there's any information on this on the RedHat
website/mailing lists...

Paul				VPOP3 - Internet Email Server/Gateway
support at pscs.co.uk			http://www.pscs.co.uk/