[mythtv-users] Recompiling Redhat kernel

Ray Olszewski ray at comarre.com
Tue Apr 15 15:00:50 UTC 2003

Paul -- From what you wrote, here and in your later messages, your problem
appears to be unrelated to MythTV even remotely (for example, by way of
BTTV), but seems to be that your newness to Linux leaves you unfamiliar
with the procedure for compiling kernels. For non-Myth learning of that
sort, you might find a genreal-purpose Linux help list more useful than a
MythTV one. The one I know is linux-newbie at vger.kernel.org (a majordomo
list; join the usual way), though there are many ... including, I am sure,
some specific to Red Hat.

For now ...

At 08:01 AM 4/15/2003 +0100, Paul Smith wrote:
[...]
>>4. Am I correct in assuming that before you did whatever you did, "make
>>modules" worked properly, including compiling the older bttv module?
>>(More generally, you have compiled the kernel itself ("make bzImage",
>>usually) succesfully, right? So you've gone through the preliminary steps
>>in /usr/src/<kernel-name>/README?)
>
>There's not much relevant in that README afaics.
>
>The kernel itself compiles absolutely fine (and boots as far as saying
>that the modules don't match the kernel version). I've never got a 'make
>modules' to work properly.
>
>I've been following the instructions on
>"http://en.tldp.org/HOWTO/Kernel-HOWTO-2.html"

This description of what you did is a bit hard to interpret, for several
reasons.

First, as to README, if you think there isn't much relevant in it, you
didn't read it very thoroughly. Start at the part headed "INSTALLING the
Kernel" and read on. Much of the material is similar to that in the URL you
cite, but the procedure described in README really is the bedrock one to
check your work against.

Second, if you are really following the instructions at the URL you quote
above, how did you ever get to the point where you boot the new kernel? In
those instructions (both the quick and the detailed versions), installing
the kernel and running lilo occur *after* the make_modules step, which
fails for you. In any case, I'd suggest you try the sequence "For the
Impatient" (section 2.3) exactly as written. If it fails, report (here or
on a more appropriate list) the exact sequence of steps you followed.

My guess at this point is that you are skipping some required step in the
compile process ... but without a description of what you actually did,
trying to name it is just a guessing game. The compiler errors you quoted
look to me like you are missing some #include files (or are looking at the
wrong set of #include files). This *might* mean you need to install some
something_or_other-dev RPM or it could mean you skipped an early step in
the compilation procedure.