[mythtv-users] WinTV/Hauppauge + Phillips Universal remote = everything *except* VCR keys working

Michael D. Cencula mythtvuser at cencula.com
Thu Apr 17 01:43:08 UTC 2003

I tried the same thing as you on a Philips universal remote with my Hauppauge
WinTV card.  Surprisingly, none of the VCR codes seem to be setup to transmit
RC-5.  I picked up a little infrared sensor card at Radio Shack for about $2.
It's got a strip of material that you point your remote at, and when it gets
hit by infrared light, the chemical properties of the strip cause it to
flouresce in the visible spectrum, so you can see if your remote is working.

With this little card, it was easy to recognize the pattern of flashes for
RC-5, and I tried every VCR code and found that none of them transmit RC-5.
The card was also helpful to see whether or not there were dead buttons on
the remote for any particular code.  It saved me from programming lirc
countless times.

So I dumped the Hauppauge receiver and built a homebrew serial receiver per
the instructions on the lirc website.  It works great, and it receives pretty
much every protocol, so I was able to try many other codes that didn't
transmit RC-5.  I ended up using 3 of the functions on the remote...TV, DVD,
and CD.  My myth box is controlled by the CD button.

I tried a bunch of different codes trying to find one in which every button
output a unique code, but alas, there are some duplicates.  For example, the
OK button outputs the same code as the Enter button.  Oh, well...it works
fine, and the range is good (about 20 feet).

Regards,
Mike

<snip>