[mythtv-users] MythGame Problem Continued

Tim Neale gc27 at softhome.net
Thu Apr 24 11:25:57 UTC 2003

At 04:57 AM 4/23/2003 -0700, Jason James wrote:
>Great job!
>
>One suggestion: since so many people ask about the
>All-In-Wonder cards, I think you might want to mention
>in this section that it isn't well supported for tv
>capture.

This is a very good suggestion, and I almost did something like this when I
was drafting.  I didn't because I need some help in implementing it correctly.

My understanding of the situation is that the ATI AIW 7500 will not capture
TV signals under Linux, because it uses an i2c setup (chip, probably) that
the Linux i2c stuff does not support. My understanding is also that other
ATI AIW cards (the 8500 and 9500) do not have this flaw.

But I know none of this firsthand, and what I've read (that I infer the
prior paragraph from) is often reported so imprecisely that I do not trust
my understanding well enough to put it in a HowTo. So if someone who
understands the details of the various ATI AIW cards better than me would
write up a summary of what does and does not work, I'd be pleased to add it
to my draft (what happens after that is, of course, up to Robert, and I
haven't heard back from him yet).

So others can see this sumary and request, I've cc'd the myth-users list in
my response to you, James ... though your message was a private response, I
trust you have no objection to my doing this.