[mythtv-users] UK Channels

Wed Apr 23 17:17:24 UTC 2003

I had exactly your problem:

You are correct that Channel Id is eg 1
Channel Name - whatever
Channel Call sign - short name - DONT LEAVE IT BLANK - there is a 0.8 bug which stops you changing channels otherwise
Channel Number - as you say the channel number to tune to, eg 44, NOT 1 (I did that! durr)

-----Original Message-----
From: Paul Smith [mailto:paullocal at pscs.co.uk]
Sent: 23 April 2003 16:24
To: mythtv-users at snowman.net
Subject: [mythtv-users] UK Channels

OK, I'm getting incredibly confused about how TV channels & XMLTV etc work
in the UK with MythTV.

I've run setup and cleared everything out and started again

I've set up xmltv to just get the channels for terrestrial TV (I'll want
Satellite later as well, but I'll leave that for now..)

I run 'mythfilldatabase --manual' it downloads the listings, then asks me
for information about the channels

I don't understand what the different fields are:
- channel ID
- channel name (I understand this one)
- channel callsign
- channel number
- fine tuning (I think I understand this (leaving it at 0 for now))
- icon (OK, this I understand)

In the UK, I'd like, for instance, BBC1 to come first in the listing,
everyone in the UK uses this for channel '1', but the tuner needs to go to
channel 44 around here - what settings do I put to achieve that?

I'd have thought channel ID=1, channel number=44 would work, but it doesn't
seem to behave as I'd expect.

If I make a mistake is there an easier way of changing them, or do I need
to get my SQL hat on?

Is anyone working on an easier way of setting these up, or is there a need
for something that I could put together in PERL or something to make it
easier to set up for UK users?

Later on when I add satellite, I'll need an external command to change
THOSE channels (but not for terrestrial, which can use the tuner), and to
change the tuner to channel 65 - is this possible, or do I need to work out
some way of getting a different input to my TV card for the satellite channels?

Paul				VPOP3 - Internet Email Server/Gateway
support at pscs.co.uk			http://www.pscs.co.uk/