[mythtv-users] ATI remote modmap

josephc josephc at etards.net
Thu Apr 24 18:34:41 UTC 2003

Ray Olszewski wrote:
> Based on this morning's feedback -- both directly to my first draft and
> on other issues that were discussed in the last day -- I've revised the
> draft update a good bit. Here is the new version, for comments and
> criticisms.

Opps, too much trimming of my last message. I cut out one
of the comments.

> 3.3.2 Memory
>
> A MythTV host that is both a backend and a frontend, and that uses
> software encoding with a single capture card, should run comfortably in
> 256 MB of RAM; depending on other hardware choices, even less (128 MB)
> might suffice. Any common type of RAM in use today is fast enough.
> Additional RAM is useful, but it mainly serves as buffer space to smooth
> the process of sync'ing to the hard disk. For that reason, a swap
> partition is effectively useless.

[The last sentence is unnecessary and misleading. This
shouldn't imply that you should not have a swap partition.
If anything, maybe:]

   You will want to have enough RAM so that memory paging
   will not impact your system performance.

--  bjm