[mythtv-users] IR Receiver

Pete Stapley pstapley at rapidnet.com
Thu Apr 24 20:03:07 UTC 2003

>So after having no success with RH9 and ALSA I went back to RH8.  This time
>I'm not even messing with Myth until I can get ALSA working ;-)

Well, I have Alsa working fine with RH9 - it might be a sound card issue
though (I have a VIA 8235)

>Things are good so far except for three quirks:
>
>1. I get the same old RH9 message on login:
>Error while initializing the sound driver
>device /dev/dsp can't be opened (No such device)
>The sound server will continue, using the null output device.
>which I have now supressed as it seems to be unrelated

I think this is actually 'ARTS' complaining - I'm not sure what ARTS is -
but you don't seem to need it. I always kill off 'artsd' if I remember.

If you find out how to stop it loading at startup, please let me know.

>3. It seems that alsamixer is not saving the settings between reboots even
>when I run:
>alsactl -f /etc/asound.state store (from the alsactl folder)
>after setting the levels, and Capturing & Muting Line In
>
>Anyone know how to stop the need for the modprobe and how to force the mixer
>to save?

Hmm, I haven't noticed that here - but then I've only recently got it
working, so I haven't had chance to play much with it.

Paul				VPOP3 - Internet Email Server/Gateway
support at pscs.co.uk			http://www.pscs.co.uk/