[mythtv-users] Linux distros.

Fri Apr 25 09:04:07 UTC 2003

> This is kind of off topic but I was just wondering what distro most
> people on this list are running?

The two favourites from those in the know usually seem to be debian and gentoo - the nice bit about these two is that you can install one build, and then update it constantly for ever after.  What I dislike about my other redhat machine is that you install 7.2, but to get new packages you have to upgrade to 8. and then 9, etc...  (It's almost like having windows!)

I use Gentoo now, and although it seems like a waste compiling packages, it does seem to offer a mild speedup, and makes it quite easy to create new packages installs.  For example you can make a package which gets the latest CVS, downloads and compiles and installs it.  In general I find it more reliable and easier to use than my Redhat box, but every now and again I find a rough patch and then you need more linux knowledge to fix your problem - but in general I found it *easier* to use

Most of the other distro's are horses for courses and somewhat similar.  Suse and Mandrake seem to win on the desktop, Redhat is the best know (in the UK at least).  I don't know if there is anything to   split them - read the review on the net.