[mythtv-users] New MPEG2-Encoder board available

Ben Bucksch linux.news at bucksch.org
Fri Apr 25 10:11:00 UTC 2003

Edward Wildgoose wrote:

>It seems to be quite easy to stream an mpeg to be decoded to a H+ card, or the DVB card, and presumably will be for the PVR350 card - the trick is how to mux in an overlay stream for on screen menus and display (but if anyone is keen I think there is sample code to do exactly this in the H+ plugin for vdr)

If you're talking about the full DVB cards, from what I understood, you
can tell them what to do with the data via the demux devices. You can
tell them to accept an MPEG stream from either the tuner or from the app
(via dvr device), demux it and to output to the MPEG decoder or the app
(dvr device). So, you can tell them to decode an MPEG stream on the disk
and presumably get it decoded from /dev/video or tvout. There are also
special provisions to create OSDs, but I didn't look into that.