[mythtv-users] [OT] coax splitting?

Omer Shenker mail at omershenker.net
Fri Aug 1 04:04:09 EDT 2003

Hello,

I have coax running from the wall, and 2 or 3 tuners I want to connect. I'm
looking for recommendations as to doing this. In the same house I have
another TV and a cable modem, so I'm worried I need some sort of amplifier
to have 5 devices connected and still get a good signal in each of them. I'm
pretty clueless about this stuff.

Both tuners can take either coax or S-video, but the TV's S-video input is
needed for input from the myth box, so if I want to record 2 w/myth and
watch 1 wo/myth, the TV needs coax in. Let me try to draw a picture, in
which data travels down and to the right unless otherwise noted:

CURRENT

+------------+  coax  +------------+
|box in attic|--------|secondary TV|
+------------+        +------------+
   c|       c\
   o|        o\
   a|         a\
   x|          x\
+-----------+ +------------+ myth +--------+  Sv  +----------+
|cable modem| |myth tuner 1|------|myth out|------|primary TV|
+-----------+ +------------+      +--------+      +----------+

WANTED

+------------+  coax  +------------+
|box in attic|--------|secondary TV|
+------------+        +------------+
   c|       c\
   o|        o\
   a|         a\
   x|          x\
+-----------+ +--------------+
|cable modem| |mystery device|
+-----------+ +--------------+
              ?/  ?|        c\
             ?/   ?|         o\
            ?/    ?|          a\
           ?/     ?|           x\
+------------+ +------------+ +----------+
|myth tuner 1| |myth tuner 2| |primary TV|
+------------+ +------------+ +----------+
           m\       m|          /
            y\      y|    -->-->
             t\     t|   / Sv
              h\    h|  /
               +--------+
               |myth out|

So what I'm inquiring about is the mystery device (or cable) and the two
mystery connections, which can either be coax or S-video. The coax running
from the mystery device to the primary TV would be nice, but I can live
without it.

FWIW, I have basic (non-digital) cable from Time Warner in the US. All the
myth stuff is on one box next to the TV.

Thanks in advance,
--
Omer Shenker                          http://omershenker.net/