[mythtv-users] Recommended graphics card with tv-out?

Ian Forde ian at duckland.org
Sun Aug 3 13:37:21 EDT 2003

On Sun, 2003-08-03 at 12:10, Ellen Spertus wrote:
> What tv-out graphics card is most trouble-free?  The database
> (http://pvrhw.goldfish.org/tiki-page.php?pageName=pvrhw_gfx) lists 5
> cards, but notes that tv-out is reported not to work on two (Radeon 7500
> and Tachyon G9000 Pro).  A third (S3 Savage 2000), which I own, has
> issues with xv.  That leaves the following two cards:
>
> - ASUS nVidia V9180 Magic
> - Matrox Millennium G400
>
> I've seen people having problems with both on the list.  Also, I'm
> wondering if cheaper nVidia GeForce4 MX 440-8x based cards would be as
> good as the ASUS.

Well, I've been using one of the nVidia GeForce Ti4200 cards and it just
plain works.  I don't remember the manufacturer though...

My process for buying a video card for myth went like this:

Ian goes to store, asking, "where are the nvidia chipset video cards?"
Clerk shows me the ATI cards.
Ian moves onto the next store.
Repeat until I find a store with nvidia-chipset cards.
Once I find a store with nvidia cards, I look for one with tv-out...

and that's pretty much it!  Building the driver was easy.  Getting it to
display to the TV was easy.  (Getting it to stop crashing when I exited
X was hard, but since I run myth fulltime on this box, I don't even care
about that anymore!)

	-I
--
                       Ian Forde, RHCE, CCSE, SCNA, SCDME