[mythtv-users] No Picture - updates!

Peter Hutnick peter-lists at hutnick.com
Sun Aug 3 16:18:37 EDT 2003

Isaac Richards said:
> On Sunday 03 August 2003 04:49 pm, Peter Hutnick wrote:
>> I don't understand what one thing has to do with the other.  Clearly
>> the fact that I didn't want to remove DB entries is not the reason
>> that the setup utility doesn't mention that it will remove
>> program/channel AND "Video Sources" data.
>
> The stuff under 'video sources' _is_ program and channel data.

Oh.  That was totally un-obvious to me.  I though that "program and
channel data" was that stuff I spent half an hour downloading.  If it is
both, then the connection or relationship is un-obvious to me.  Sorry.

> It would be impossible to notice if you had things setup correctly,
> since you  would have that input muted.

Are you saying that 1. mythtv just leaves the audio running and 2. it
isn't a bug?

I think it would be cleaner if it turned off the sound on exit.  Say, for
instance I want to use motv, I unmute the line in, and there is TV sound
just lurking there.

I mean, just on principle, it seems like a program should leave things as
it finds them.

>> > Because the WM doesn't know how to shut it down properly.
>>
>> Would you mind elaborating on this?  If it is the case I'll submit a
>> bug to the KDE folks.
>
> Killing off a program through the WM isn't good for any application.

Huh?  I'm talking about the "close" function.  The little "X" in the upper
left.  It just sends a signal, which, it seems, mythfrontend chooses to
ignore.  Am I unusual that I consider that to be bad behavior?  Am I doing
something bad by closing a myriad of other apps that way?

Don't take these comments and questions the wrong way.  I think that
MythTV is a great app.  I am genuinely grateful that you chose to release
your hard work as Free Software.  I'm really not trying to call your baby
ugly here.  It does do things that strike me odd.  I accept that this may
because I'm odd ;-)

Thanks again!

-Peter