[mythtv-users] Recommended graphics card with tv-out?

Joe V joevph at yahoo.com
Sun Aug 3 15:57:52 EDT 2003

Mark,

Like I said, at the moment, I'm currently unemployed,
and have been so for the last two months.  Spending an
extra $45 to get a MythTV box working is not an option
for me right now, considering that I live in
California, and $45 is about 5% of my monthly rent.

At the moment, I'm trying to build a MythTV box out of
parts that I have lying around my apartment.  I tend
to upgrade a fair amount, so I typically have parts
lying around.

In addition, should I get this working (which I think
I might be able to), it might save some people $45 (if
they, like me, have an older Radeon card lying
around), which they can use to offset the cost of a
hardware MPEG encoder or something.

I figure there'e no harm in trying.  I'll be buying a
new box to run MythTV on anyway (since I'm finding my
Athlon 1.4 to be a bit sluggish), but I figure that if
I can reuse some of the other hardware, then I don't
have to spend as much money.  Worst case scenario, I
shell out the money for a scan converter (I'd rather
do that than buy yet another video card, as I have two
perfectly good video cards here).  And heck, it's fun,
I get a kick out of solving problems.

Maybe I lose some time, maybe I don't.  It's quite
simple to get TV Out working at an older ATI Radeon,
and most of the time spent is the computer compiling
stuff.  I start the compile, walk away, and check on
it inbetween innings of the baseball game.  I was
thinking about it, and it might be as simple as
recompiling the X server and Qt, which for me is easy.

On the other hand, if I was employed right now, I
probably wouldn't be messing with any of this.

Now then, for the rest of you, if I actually get this
working, without it being completely convoluted (which
I think is possible), I'll post instructions to the
list, and later on, get them on my website.

-- Joe