[mythtv-users] Re: xbox frontend

Don Carter don.carter at rogers.com
Mon Aug 4 03:52:20 EDT 2003

Hi Dennis:

> Ok, its done! I have a version of MythTV for the Microsoft XBOX. This is
> a free standing version that only requires you to be able to boot
> unsigned code. In other words using a mod chip or software mod. Have a
> look at it and give me feed back.
>
> 2. A uncompressed version that runs from FatX only.

OK, so I downloaded the uncompressed version, and
  - modified linuxboot.cfg to set xbox=rw_fatx_e
  - modified myth.tgz to set my ip address, resolv.conf, and mysql.txt

then transferred all of the files to e: (/dev/hdc50) using the hdd hotswap
method to my (unmodded) xbox.

No luck, when I booted, I got a Microsoft screen saying I needed to call
for service (somehow I don't think they would be pleased if I did that).

I tried copying linuxboot.cfg, default.xbe, myth_initrd, and myth_vmlinuz
to /dev/hd51 (c: drive), but that didn't help either.

I had gentoox running on the e: drive, so I know that I can run unsigned
binaries on my xbox (I'm using the ernie/bert font exploit to do that).
Everything was working pretty well, except that I couldn't get the rivafb
module compiled and running under gentoox, so 'livetv' tended to stutter.

Anyway, I'll try reinstalling the gentoox stuff to make sure it still works
(to verify I didn't screw something else up).

Any ideas on what might be the problem?  Just out of interest, do you
understand the boot sequence with the font exploit?  I assume that it
attempts to boot default.xbe, which in turn looks for linuxboot.cfg.  But
how does it know where to look for default.xbe (which is why I tried
copying it to the c: directory as well - that was needed when I installed
gentoox).

> Please see the README posted with the torrent files and if it sounds to
> hard or confusing ... well than wait until this version has been broken
> in :)
>
> Have fun, Don't destroy anything.

Thanks for all of the hard work.  Hopefully I'll be able to contribute if I
can get it running...

Don