[mythtv-users] xbox mythtv

Dennis Cartier pvr at trigger.net
Tue Aug 5 07:21:45 EDT 2003

> [mailto:mythtv-users-bounces at mythtv.org]On Behalf Of James S. White
>
> I was wondering what resolution those of you using xboxen for a
> mythfrontend
> are recording at. When I record 480x480 (PVR-250 hardware) The playback on
> the xbox drops frames. It does it at a constant rate, so there is
> no jitter,
> but the framerate is low enough that it has an unsettling slow-motion-like
> effect. I am Using Ed's 0.4.1. Any thoughts?

Actually I do know what causes this. :) I record at 640x480 on my PVR-250
and everything plays fine with no slow motion effect ... but there is a
little black border around the picture. If I use xbv to try to adjust the
video to fix the border than I get the slow motion effect.

I have not really spent much time on it but my theory is that there are a
few 'native' settings where everything is hardware accelerated, and if you
start tweaking with xbv, you can get it looking perfect, but cause it to
have to do a lot of work in software. I still have to back and test if there
are other 'native' overscan settings that eliminate the borders and do not
induce the penalty.

So if you are using xbv to adjust your video, try it without and see if
480x480 or even 640x480 works better.

Dennis