[mythtv-users] A noob question regarding hardware req. and hardware codecs

John Wells jb at sourceillustrated.com
Tue Aug 5 13:32:02 EDT 2003

Hi guys.  New to the list and MythTV and have a few questions, if you
don't mind.

Here's what I'd like to do with my Freevo or MythTV PVR:

R.1 - Watch live tv while recording another show on another channel
R.2 - Watch live tv while recording the currently viewed show.
R.3 - Pause live tv.

Here's what I have regarding hardware so far:
- ATI Tv-wonder tuner card (w/stereo)
- Geforce 2 with S-video out
- 256 mb ram
- 40 gb harddrive
- CD-RW

Now here's where I'm a little unsure of what to get next.  I have a AMD
Athlon XP 2200+ I can throw at this baby, but I'd hate to use my big mean
system for a PVR if I don't have to.  My other option is to buy a system
from e-bay, but my $$$ range dictates (based on current prices out there)
that the fastest I'll be able to buy will probably be around a PIII-500
(give or take a 100) Mhz.

Now the questions:

1.  Will a 500 Mhz CPU suffice for what I'd like to do, or will I really
have to go with the 2200?  I'd like at least regular TV quality video (but
truthfully, it'll probably bug me if I don't have the best ;-))

2.  If I buy a hardware encoder like the Haupauge 250 or 350, what sort of
effect will that have on CPU requirements?  Assuming a purchase of one of
those cards, what CPU could I get buy with?

3.  Do I have to buy a second tuner card to be able to record one channel
while watching live tv on another (See R.1 above)?

4.  Can a MythTV system be used for other things (i.e., can I drop out to
an X session), or does the software pretty much need a dedicated machine?

5.  Is there any way to get MythTV to communicate with my Comcast digital
cable box so that I can take advantage of the extra channels?

Sorry about the length of my first post.  I'm really excited about getting
this thing going and have a lot on my mind.  I appreciate any input you
can provide.

Thanks again!

John

John