[mythtv-users] A noob question regarding hardware req. andhardwarecodecs

Joseph A. Caputo jcaputo1 at comcast.net
Tue Aug 5 14:50:27 EDT 2003

If you want to be able to simultaneously record with both tuners while
watching one playback stream (as you've indicated), then yes.  Some people
have reported being able to do LiveTV (single record/playback) with as
little as 700MHz (without a hardware encoder), if they crank down the
capture resolution to 320x240 and use RTjpeg.  For the combination of
hardware & desired capabilities that you've described, you probably want
somewhere in the 1-1.5 GHz range to be comfortable.  Also, keep in mind that
because they use MPEG-2, the hardware MPEG cards produce very large files
(~6 GB/hr), so that 40GB HD might fill up awfully fast...

-JAC