[mythtv-users] PS/2 keyboard <--> IR Remote interface

Reza Naima reza at reza.net
Tue Aug 5 20:09:23 EDT 2003

It seems as if there are a lot of issues people have with remote
controls, etc..  Havn't recently entered the 'hardwardware hacking'
scene, it shouldn't too hard to make a ps/2 <-> IR remote adaptor.

I can design it such that a remote button press maps to a few keypresses
to turn off a PC -- or just one key-press, and if the bios alows it, to
turn on the PC as well via the keyboard.. Or, if the motherboard has a
Wake On Lan connector, I can tie into there, or even the switch on the
front...   I would also probably make it compatible with a sony remote
(very common one), or any universal remote that can mimic a sony one.

As this would interface to the PS/2 port, there would be no need for
software drivers and would work on any OS..

A rough estimate would be that it would cost around $40/50 each to make a
batch of them for people here on the list -- if there is enough
interest (much cheaper with larger volume).  Also, if you have any ideas
for features, etc, let me know.

Reza