[mythtv-users] Changing System Time

Russ Southern russ.southern at cox.net
Wed Aug 6 13:12:36 EDT 2003

On Wed, Aug 06, 2003 at 12:27:30PM -0400, Joseph A. Caputo wrote:
> If NTP runs frequently enough, the adjustment should be small enough not to
> perturb anything.  If you run it infrequently *and* your system clock has
> alot of drift, then I imagine the effect would be the same as a manual
> adjustment -- if a manual adjustment of a certain amount of time causes
> problems, so will NTP.

Remember, a major (in my opinion, the most significant) point of NTP is its
ability to condition your system clock to keep it accurate on its own.
Theoretically, if you were to let ntp keep you online "all the time" for a
few days, it will have zeroed in on the right correction by then.  The ntp
daemon would then no longer have to connect more than once per day or so.

For example, on my system, except for reboots, ntp only "runs" about every
other day.

My general advice to ntp users: let ntp do what it wants, even if it looks
like you stay online "all the time."  It will quickly get your clock
accurate enough to stop doing that.

Russ