[mythtv-users] PVR-250 or 350?

Milos Prudek prudek at bvx.cz
Wed Aug 6 22:49:50 EDT 2003

Hi,

Can a Linux fileserver and application server also run MythTV, and not
lock-up and still have CPU cycles to spare?

Hardware:
- Athlon 2400+XP, 256kB L2 cache,
- mobo Asus A7V600 (KT600 chipset)
- 1 GB RAM

Tasks:
- firewall
- fileserver for 2-3 people
- application server for 2-3 users, moderate to heavy usage

In order to save money, I want to use this file/application server as a
family media center as well.

To relieve CPU from the encoding and decoding burden I want to install
Hauppauge PVR-250 or PVR-350.

- Will PVR-350 consume considerably less CPU during playback than PVR-250?
- Can I be sure that MythTV will not lock up the whole machine (even
indirectly, for instance by memory leaks?

--
Milos Prudek