[mythtv-users] frontend and backend crash cause by kernel paging?

Ray Olszewski ray at comarre.com
Wed Aug 6 16:37:34 EDT 2003

At 05:23 PM 8/6/2003 -0500, Matt wrote:
>The frontend and backend crashed simultaneously on me today.  This was
>unusual because it was the first time that it has crashed on me while
>viewing a recording (of course it may have been recording another show at
>the time, not sure)
>
>var/log/messages had this to say about the incident:
>
>Aug  6 17:00:02 void kernel: Unable to handle kernel paging request at
>virtual a
>ddress 2e323139
[rest deleted]

I can't be certain from the info you posted, but this looks like a kernel
problem with swap. If you are running a swap partition, make sure it is
good (readable and writable). If you are not running a swap partition, try
adding one (it can be quite small) and see if it eliminates the problem.

On one (only one) of the Linux hosts I run, I saw a similar problem for
quite some time ... not with Myth, but with other processes that filled
available RAM, like big ftp transfers ... and I fixed it by adding a small
swap partition. I expect it is some quirky combination of kernel settings,
RAM size, and who knows what that makes this occur only on one host, but
you may have a similar problem.

Even if I have the details wrong, this is a kernel crash, not a Myth crash.