[mythtv-users] Re: ivtv error message, newbie lost!

Jarod Wilson jcw at wilsonet.com
Fri Aug 8 16:33:06 EDT 2003

On Friday, Chris Wieringa wrote:

>> Even some pointers where I might look to resolve this would be
>> helpfull
>>
>> [root at localhost root]# apt-get install ivtv ivtv-kmdl-`uname -r`
>> Reading
>> Package Lists... Done Building Dependency Tree... Done Some packages
>> could not be installed. This may mean that you have requested an
>> impossible situation or if you are using the unstable distribution
>> that
>> some required packages have not yet been created or been moved out of
>> Incoming. The following information may help to resolve the situation:

> Grab http://ivtv.sourceforge.net/CVS-LATEST.tar.gz and just compile
> it.  I had the same issue last night with apt-get and just compiling
> the latest CVS worked wonderfully.  See the http://ivtv.sf.net FAQ for
> install help.

Actually, the problem is that when Axel (the ATrpms maintainer) and I
(the guy that wrote the docs he's following) decided the ivtv driver
rpms Axel had prepared were solid enough to move out of his
bleeding-edge apt repository, which isn't enabled by default (for
obvious reasons), we forgot about the ivtv dependencies,
perl-Video-ivtv and perl-Video-Frequencies, and they got left in the
bleeding section. As a result, those who have not enabled the
bleeding-edge repository get the error message.

Axel's been a bit busy (good stuff to come!), and hasn't had a chance
to update the repositories just yet, so in the mean time, the quick and
easy fix is this:

1) open /etc/apt/sources.list
2) uncomment the line for "http   http://atrpms [snip] at-bleeding" and
save changes
3) run "apt-get update"
4) now "apt-get install ivtv ivtv-kmdl-`uname -r`

Everything should work then.

Or just install from CVS. :)

-jcw