[mythtv-users] Where can I find info about using DVB with MythTV

Kenneth Aaflooy ke-aa at frisurf.no
Sat Aug 9 02:23:02 EDT 2003

Steele Price wrote:

> I read this and it's a good start...
> http://www.ethics-gradient.net/myth/mythdvb.html

Yes, a good introduction on general dvb, although not mentioning dvb for
MythTV (which is wery fresh). I will be happy to help you though, as I've
got a Hauppauge Nexus-S with Common Interface set up pretty nicely here.

> Here are the specs for the Twinhan/VisionPlus 1030
> http://www.visionplus.com.tw/product_02.html

Yea, about the same as on twinhan.com, no (in depth) details I'm affraid.
I suspect this card is not supported by the linuxtv.org driver :(

http://ftp.nl.linux.org/linux/bk2patch/linux-2.4/Documentation/video4linux/b
> ttv/SCCS/s.Cards

Yup, then you can follow the HowTO for PVR/V4L cards @ mythtv.org, but you
will have to make some modifications to it (tuning comes to mind).

> I am looking forward to getting a torroidal system setup with 6 dual LNBs
> that will cover every channel I want with no dish movement.  specs on
these
> are here:
> http://www.sat-city.com/DSH-WAVEFRONTIER-TOROIDAL/

Looks somewhat like the Force (www.force.tv) dish which gets distibuted in
Norway (where I happily live).

> We have come so far from the TVRO - C band days :)

Good ol' days!

> My only wish now is for the MyHD linux drivers to get going, but after
> experimenting with the Twinhan, this may be a moot point if the HDTV
signals
> come streaming down from sat with the same network channels I am looking
for
> (ABC for Alias, etc.)

I see no problem receiving a HDTV stream from a satelite with the DVB
interface!!  :)

> I am still fighting with a few things to get my MythTV setup going in the
> first place, I have an ATI Radeon and may have to just trash it from
> incompatibilities, I have space requirements (using a shuttle PC) so I
need
> an integrated AGP capture card and the Twinhan is going in the only
> available PCI slot.  Also, I haven't figured out which of the 3 remotes I
> can use effectively yet, I have USB and Serial variants to select from.
>
> I am planning a total reinstall of the myth family this weekend from
source
> since the deb files are a little wierd.
>
> There really could be an easier installation system than what is available
> now, but c'est la vis, maybe I'll write it and contribute it when I have
> some free time.

Go CVS, most features (and you can join the effort of progress:)

If you have problems setting up MythTV or associated software, post and
we'll answer!

Kenneth