[mythtv-users] Re: Had an idea? Would a more experienced person share info?

Jarod C. Wilson jcw at wilsonet.com
Mon Aug 11 03:25:27 EDT 2003

On Sunday, Cedar McKay wrote:

> On Sunday, August 10, 2003, at 05:23  AM, shredder wrote:
>
>> Seeing as I am well and truly a newbie, to both Linux & Myth, does
>> someone who has setup a system (Jarod & Co come to mind as I have a
>> Pundit)Wish to work along side me and make the documentation easy for
>> the first time user. I am sure it wouldbenefitmany people, I can
>> think of two who are struggling as much as I am.
>>
>> Others could contribute variations on a theme,i.e.graphics
>> cards,Linux versions. I would also be willing to host this
>> information as I have a spare site sitting doing nothing.
> Documentation is really trickier than you might think.<snip>

I second that. :)

> One approach that I think could work would be customized wizard type
> docs. You are asked questions about your hardware and software config,
> and docs are generated that suit you. However, that would be a ton of
> work, and I don't think anyone is up to that right now.

I'd love to see that also (we've discussed this a bit before... :). But
like Cedar says, nobody has the time to undertake such an ambitious
project at the moment. Some people wouldn't believe the time and effort
that has gone into creating a document that covers only one specific
distribution, install method, and basic hardware platform (well, two
platforms now, actually).

For many first-time users, or relatively new users, the combination of
the documentation out there and help from the mailing list has gotten
them through quite a bit. Just ask, and someone will surely help out
with whatever you're stuck on. I've had plenty of people email me
off-list also, and I always try to help out in whatever way I can.

If there is something you feel is greatly lacking in the Red
Hat/PVR-x50 install guide, I'd like to hear about it, so I can do
something about it.

-jcw