[mythtv-users] Crash on playing transcoded recording - header damaged

Will Dormann wd at pobox.com
Mon Aug 11 14:06:17 EDT 2003

I'm running a post-0.10 CVS version of MythTV with a PVR-250.   With my
current settings I get around 2.5-3GB/hour, but I'd like to transcode my
shows into a higher compressed format so I can fit more on my machine.

I've got a set of AVISynth/VirtualDub scripts that creates a 640x480 XVID
AVI files that end up being under 500MB/hour.   I do this on my windows
machine, since it's very CPU intensive (about 18 hours processing time for
1 hours of video processed on an Athlon XP1800+), plus I don't know of any
Linux equivalents of AVISynth or VirtualDub.

I can play my transcoded shows fine using MythVideo (mplayer).  But if I
copy over the original .nuv file so that I can access the show by the
normal MythTV interface, I get a crash.  When I select the transcoded show,
the preview window goes green for a second and then mythfrontend crashes.

Looking at the console, I see this:
Input #0, avi, from '/mnt/store/<filename>':
 Stream #0.0: Video: mpeg4, 640x480, 29.97 fps, 800kb/s
 Stream #0.1: Audio: mp3, 48000 Hz, stereo, 160 kb/s
header damaged
decoding error

Is the problem that the video is in AVI format, rather than NUV?   Since
it's able to determine the video and audio formats, I wouldn't think that
is the case.

What could the problem be?   Is what I'm trying to do actually possible?
(A sort of "in-place" transcoding)
thanks
-WD