[mythtv-users] Memory Utilization

Ray Olszewski ray at comarre.com
Mon Aug 11 11:53:53 EDT 2003

At 12:12 PM 8/11/2003 -0500, Obrien, Haskell W. wrote:
>In the Docs, it suggests that 256MB is sufficient.
>However, on my mythtv box I get some hickups every so often, and it seems
>like swapping to me.  When I check with top, it's using a good 128mb of swap.
>
>Is this typical?  Trying to run down the source of the hickups, they're
>annoying.

If this is a dedicated MythTV system, it is quite unusual. I've seen
nothing like it here, and I can't recall seeing anything like that much
swap use ever reported on the list. So ...

1. Is it a dedicated Myth system? If not, what else runs regularly?

2. What does top (or, better, free) report right after the system
boots/inits? Before mythfrontend even starts running, if possible.

3. What are "hickups" and how often is "every so often"? Metaphor is of
limited value when describing technical problems with systems.

4. What are the basics of the system? Hardware, Linux distro, X driver, and
X wm.