[mythtv-users] Oh to Choose PVR-250 or PVR-350

Jason_Vannest at abercrombie.com Jason_Vannest at abercrombie.com
Tue Aug 12 18:30:53 EDT 2003

I've been reading the Dev list for 6 months or so to get an idea of where
the project is at and how things are going... but figured if I posted this
question there I might miff a few people, although they seem to be pretty
calm compared to some other lists I've been on.

I've been through all the documentation on www.mythtv.org and still have a
few questions.

Some background first, I'm a decent C and C++ programmer, a pathetic Linux
guru.  Probably enough said there to give you an idea of where I'm coming
from.  Can you say Linux newbie?  Almost a newbie anyway, last time I spent
any significant time working with Linux you still needed to compile the
kernel yourself.

I however would like to get into Linux, and what better way than the MythTV
project.

I'm not looking to bug anyone to learn the Linux ropes, but I would like to
get some hardware advice, since from what I can tell Linux drivers are
still a major problem when your trying to do something this intense.

Question 1:
>From what I can tell PVR-250 works fine, I'm not sure but it seems like
some people on the list have gotten the PVR-350 to work? Yes/NO?  I
understand that the drivers don't support the video out / hardware decoder
for the PVR-350.  But it does seem like the IvyTV guys are going to add
support for the additional PVR-350 features.  Will the additional features
of the PVR-350 every be useful for Myth?  If so I'm not against putting a
few extra bucks in now instead of later for the newer cards.

Question 2:
I see where people have setup 2 capture cards and can do simultaneous
recording and liveTV on the same box.  Can one do 3 capture cards, 2
simultaneous recordings and 1 liveTV in the same box or is that just to
much?

Question 3:
Video out to the TV, I know quite a few people are doing this on the list.
I'm having a difficult time telling which video cards are working and which
ones are only partially working.  All I really need is a couple
recommendations saying "this works and in my opinion it works well".

Question 4:
Any suggesting on what type of Motherboard / Processor will be supported
the best by Linux?

I think the rest I can sit down and plug away at before I bother anyone
else.

I appreciate any suggestions.  Sorry for the long post.

Jason Vannest