[mythtv-users] Re: Help me find a winner...stinking Kt133

Joe V joevph at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 12 22:17:05 EDT 2003

I have a KT133-based board for my MythTV PC (which is
temporary, I just built it out of stuff I had around
the apartment).  My CMI8738 on-board sound doesn't do
full-duplex very well either (with ALSA, I don't think
I tried OSS).

With ALSA, doing full duplex, the regardless of what I
set the mixer settings to, the sound would always be
very low, and turning up the speakers would emit a
loud hiss.

>From what I recall on the ALSA mailing list, this is a
known issue with the CMI8738 driver.

My solution was to get another sound card.  I bought a
Soundblaster 16 PCI (based on the Ensoniq 1371 chip,
although it's identified as a Creative 5880), and it
seems to be working well (bought it because it was
cheap, $30).  The sound is a little strange (almost a
bit "bassey", with some slur to it), but I'm not sure
if that's the sound card, or the the incoming video
(could also be my mixer settings).  This is using
full-duplex with ALSA, perhaps if I dedicate one card
to the capture input, and another card to the output,
the problem might go away.

But, like I said, I haven't had much luck with the
CMI8738 sound in full-duplex.

-- Joe