[mythtv-users] Help me find a winner...stinking Kt133

Edmund Wong ed at guyline.com.hk
Wed Aug 13 18:22:20 EDT 2003

Dennis Lou wrote:

> I'm running Myth on a K7S5A Pro and a
> friend is running Myth on a non-Pro.  Both of us
> have no sound related problems with
> MythVideo and MythMusic (he uses MythMusic to listen
> to 24Kbps/8Khz talk-radio shows).  Since we are both
> able to pause live-TV and watch a show while
> recording another, that would imply full-duplex.
<snip>
> I really like the K7S5A Pro for this application.
> No fans mean silent operation and the single chip
> north/south bridge and integrated peripherals
> probably means less power dissipation.  BTSC audio
> isn't exatly the cleanest source and I MythTV
> playback is always lossy if you have MP3 turned on.
> As they say, "garbage in, garbage out" so it
> probably doesn't make sense to use "golden ear"
> hardware.  The sound system doesn't add any
> noticable noise nor take away any
> noticeable quality and that's good enough for me.

That certainly sounds promising. So the ALSA driver supports full-duplex
and works relatively well? My current plans are based arond one of these
puppies:

http://www.spodesabode.com/content/article/K7SOM

with the 1.3ghz Duron onboard. (yes, they exist. I have one running as
a box for my mom. And for the record, I've been pitching these boards to
people since February at work, so this isn't a reaction to that review
or anything.)

I've got an entire rant about that board in me, but I'll save it for
my own thread. :)

> Back to the original question, you might have to
> ditch the PC133 SDRAM and get some DDR (probably
> depending on what resolution you capture and
> how much L2 cache is on your CPU).

I don't see how switching to DDR is going to make any difference for
him...

- Ed.