[mythtv-users] ivtv module error: no such device

Paul Doe mythtv03 at hotmail.com
Thu Aug 14 00:40:24 EDT 2003

im trying to get ivtv to run correctly but i keep gettign this when running
the /sbin/modprobe ivtv
---------------------------
/lib/modules/2.4.20-19.23.rh9.at/drivers/media/video/ivtv.o: init_module: No
such device
Hint: insmod errors can be caused by incorrect module parameters, including
invalid IO or IRQ parameters.
      You may find more information in syslog or the output from dmesg
/lib/modules/2.4.20-19.23.rh9.at/drivers/media/video/ivtv.o: insmod
/lib/modules/2.4.20-19.23.rh9.at/drivers/media/video/ivtv.o failed
/lib/modules/2.4.20-19.23.rh9.at/drivers/media/video/ivtv.o: insmod ivtv
failed
----------------------------
I did the package install with apt-get, then rebooted then ran /sbin/depmod
-a and it doesn't return anything at the next prompt.  is it supposed to?
then i run the modprobe and it give me that error above.  the ivtv.o is in
the directory where its looking.  and the hint says something about module
configuration but i didn't know i had to do any.  heres my setup....

AMD XP1800, asus a7n8x deluxe, using a GF4 w/ generic drivers for now, and i
have a Pinnacle PCTV PCI card.  and im using this config from Jarod's page
(awsome)
----Insert the following text at the top /etc/modules.conf----
# For ivtv
path[toplevel]=/lib/modules/`uname -r`/drivers/media/video
# For bttv and saa7134
path[toplevel]=/lib/modules/`uname -r`/v4l2
# default path
path[toplevel]=/lib/modules/`uname -r`
# ivtv modules setup
alias char-major-81 videodev
alias char-major-81-0 ivtv
options ivtv debug=1
options tuner type=2
options msp3400 once=1 simple=1
add above ivtv msp3400 saa7115 tuner
----Cut above here (don't include this line)----
^ that one.  what am i doing wrong here?  i dont want to go any further
until i get this working.