[mythtv-users] MythTV core structure.

Joseph A. Caputo jcaputo1 at comcast.net
Thu Aug 14 17:41:42 EDT 2003

The MythMusic tree & playlist layout does just this.  It's acknowledged that
the interface is somewhat sub-optimal, so if you have specific about UI
improvements that a 'non-geek can use and be happy with', please suggest
them.  Your comments so far are too general and seem to indicate a lack of
familiarity with how Myth works & what it can really do.

> When I have more collected architectural concepts I will present them.
> Resistance to change and defense of the current system is fine,
> but I really
> do think I can help make this a better system for everyone, I just need to
> present them here in a better manner.

Agreed; I get the sense that your goals are somewhat in line with goals for
future development that have already been expressed.  This project is not
resistent to change, it's just that you need to understand how we got where
we are and what the priorities are for the road ahead.  The general
direction of development is for Myth to become a media hub much like you
seem to suggest; it's just that these things take time and the primary
developers' priorities may not be the same as yours.  After all, it was only
around the beginning of this year that the current frontend/backend
architecture was put in place.  The two biggest things you can do to help
out are specific (or at least, not overly general) suggestions for
features/improvements, and more importantly, contribution of code.  Most of
the primary active developers spend their time & talents on the core widgets
and TV functionality.  Most of the other modules have only a single primary
developer, and some don't have anyone currently responsible.  There are a
lot of great ideas circulating, and only a limited talent pool to implement
them.

> Don't misunderstand me, I think MythTV is great, I only want to make it
> better, not rewrite the whole damn thing.

Please don't interpret this as a flame.  I would like to see the same things
as you: transparently sharing media files through Myth without having to
configure NFS or Samba on all the frontends.  It's just that we need to
collectively come up with a scheme for doing so that fits in with the Myth
architecture and the talents & time of the developers.

-JAC