[mythtv-users] Has anybody tried AverMedia M179 card instead of PVR250?

Kaushik Mallick kmallick2000 at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 14 16:01:48 EDT 2003

Looks like there is moderate success with the PVR250
in MythTV. I was wondering if I can use a smilar card
Avermedia M179. According to this link at
ivtv(http://ivtv.sourceforge.net/FAQ.html#_jump03),
"the AVerMedia M179 AVerTV uses a Sony SBX1637 audio
module which is not supported by the current driver so
while you can capture video, you get no audio yet".

Did anybody have any success in using a M179 as a
hardware mpeg encoder with MythTV? Any comments or
ideas how to get the sound working? Can I use an
external cable to get the sound from the M179 to the
onboard sound port of the motherboard?

Thanks a lot beforehand.