[mythtv-users] Re: MythTV core structure.

Jeff Rowe jeffrowe at jeffrowe.net
Thu Aug 14 18:30:59 EDT 2003

Subject: [mythtv-users] MythTV core structure.

I am new to the list and have been trying to decide... or figure out if
certain ideas I had were possible under the code as they are... and you
message has made it clear that they might not yet be possible...

I too think the TV option, both to watch and record, should be a
module/modules. I would love to eventually be able to have 1 or more
backends, with multiple frontends, and limit the abilities of the
frontends according to thier locations...

a good example would be a frontend for the kids room. Being limited to
playback only certain 'rated' programs, music, and such... this would
require more XMLTV data for the official ratings setup... plus a
limitation of the tv section to disallow recordings or only allow
recordings according to the ratings system of the program... also limit
thew channels they can watch, and even the timeframe they are allowed to
watch tv (hey why not? allow a remote admin of these subfrontends on the
master frontend to adjust the ratings/limitations/etc...)

Another example that is more appropriate would be a business where they
customer showroom would allow people access to the companies mp3
selections, videos promoting the companies various abilities, etc...
then have a similarly setup one in the employee trainging room where
employees can watch training videos, and company allowed extracurricular
materials... etc... but then in the boss' office have a fully open
system... <smirk> and maybe even an admin center that shows what the sub
frontends are doing...

is something like this in the works at all? being considered? or still
beyond what is needed at the moment?

jeffrowe