[mythtv-users] Re: Has anyone setup v4l2 succesfully?

Jarod C. Wilson jcw at wilsonet.com
Thu Aug 14 21:24:43 EDT 2003

On Thursday, Graeme Woollett wrote:

>> .config files are included with the kernel-source packages for ATrpms
>> kernels, just like the stock Red Hat kernels. There is also a copy of
>> your running kernel .config file in /boot, which does come with the
>> kernel package. Look again, I think you are mistaken. There was never
>> any need to recompile the ATrpms kernels either. They are already
>> patched with v4l2 support.
>>
> That's fine as long as the distro kernel supports your card.  I have a
> SAA7134 based tv card that isn't (as of 2.4.20-19.9 (redhat)).

But we're not talking about distro kernels. We're talking about the
ATrpms kernels.

> The maintainer at bytesex.org says that
> due to the backporting that RH does in their kernels the v4l patch
> won't work with them.  He suggests that you use a vanilla kernel
> instead.

 From the package description page for the ATrpms kernels:

This is the RedHat kernel with some additional patches.
- base kernel sources: Taken from      redhat      errata (2.4.20-19.x)
- XFS: merged patches found in      1.2
- i2c-2.8.0 and      lm_sensors-2.8.0. You should also get the
updated userland tools.
- 3ware kernel driver update      for Escalade series (1.02.00.033).
- v4l2-api (from      http://bytesex.org/v4l/)

Note the v4l2 part.

Oh yeah. ATrpms also has pre-compiled drivers for saa7134-based TV
cards.

http://atrpms.physik.fu-berlin.de/dist/rh9/saa7134/

> Unfortunetly then you lose all the goodes e.g m/b hardware monitoring
> included in the distro release.

Not with ATrpms kernels. They take the stock Red Hat source, and apply
the above-listed patches. All that stuff is still there.

> I failed miserably with 2.4.21 to patch this in.  I guess I'll just
> have to wait until 2.6 comes out.  Does anyone have a .config for
> 2.6-test* for an athlon that works?

I think you need to revisit the ATrpms kernels, and check out the
saa7134 drivers there.

-jcw