[mythtv-users] G400 Questions

Joe V joevph at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 15 20:44:25 EDT 2003

Jason,

I'm using a G400 right now.  I'm using the framebuffer
method, and it's working well.

I tried using the proprietary Matrox driver, but could
never get it to work.  Powerdesk just didn't want to
work for me in trying to configure the TV-out head,
and I couldn't manually configure it.

I would just setup the monitor to use the same
resolution that you plan on using the TV-out.  I find
that in my MythTV setup, the PC is near the TV (will
be in the TV stand cabinet once I get an ATX desktop
case), so I never have a monitor hooked up to it.
Luckily I never have any problems during bootup.  :)

To work around the TV-out not being available during
the boot sequence, I put the instructions to put the
image on the second head in /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit
(RedHat 9), so I can at least see the part of the boot
where daemons start loading.

One other thing that I was never certain of - is Xv
supported on the TV-out head with the Matrox
proprietary driver?  It seems to be used on the
framebuffer, which helps out with scaling immensely
(otherwise scaling has to be done in software).

-- Joe