[mythtv-users] PVR250 Improved Motion Encoding

Brian Foddy bfoddy at visi.com
Sat Aug 16 18:16:29 EDT 2003

I admit I've not followed some of the recent
messages about changing the pvr250 settings, but
after I reorganized my machine so the 250 is the
primary card now, I would like to find ways
to improve the motion characteristics of its
picture.  In short, anything with even moderate
motion is pretty bad.  The motion portion of the
image is very blocky until it stops.

I just checked my settings, I've never changed them:
[root at cyclone utils]# ./test_ioctl -C -d /dev/video2
ioctl: IVTV_IOC_G_CODEC
Codec parameters
aspect      : 2
audio       : 0x00e9
bframes     : 3
bitrate_mode: 0
bitrate     : 8000000
bitrate_peak: 16000000
dnr_mode    : 0
dnr_spatial : 0
dnr_temporal: 0
dnr_type    : 0
framerate   : 0
framespergop: 15
gop_closure : 0
pulldown    : 0
stream_type : 0

Are there settings I can change that will improve
motion?  I run 512x480 resolution, and don't have
tons of extra CPU (dual p2-450),
but disk performance is no problem.

Thanks,
Brian