[mythtv-users] MythTV Experience

Bruno Rodrigues bruno.rodrigues at litux.org
Sun Aug 17 03:02:43 EDT 2003

Today, a friend of mine sent me a link to MythTV and right after that a
direct link to debian packages, knowing that I love Debian.

I don't have a television in my own house. Since I bought my house, two
years ago, I've been using an 19" Monitor and a desktop computer for
that.

My solution is a simple one: a fullscreen xawtv, a simple binding for
remote control, and everything else by SSH - xmms, cdplaying, etc.
(It also does gateway/firewall/nat to cable access Internet, WiFi gateway,
and sometimes serves apache and qmail to the outside)

After seeing MythTV screnshots, I got tempted to give it a try - with
Debian packages, if it won't work I just --purge them ;)

*WOW!*

I got totally convinced! You have now another person to help the
project.

Debian packages have some problems creating databases but I'm having
the same problems with my own packages.
I had lots of trouble to configure channels because it seems to always
need some tv_grab_* command line and I don't have any (yet) for
Portugal.
I needed to use mythfilldatabase with my xawtvrc and then fix database
to have the right channel numbers and sourceid.

My hardware is:
Pentium III 650MHz
128MB Memory
Haupage WinTV Theather PCI (bt878 + btaudio + own IrDA)
Two very slow disks (one 1.4GB 2.5 from a laptop for system and a very
old Maxtor 8GB)
In-Board sound - Cirrus Logic CS 4614
Matrox G200

TV is jumppy, mostly caused by the disks.

My sound is still OSS. A quick test with alsa drivers gave me an error
drivers, later I'll try to recompile a new kernel with all.

btaudio seems to freeze from time to time. :(

A quick test installing mythtv+frontend in my laptop and playing from my
tvbox was unsucessful, as it was very slow even at 3Mb/sec - forget
about WiFi Television. I need to reread documentation about Mpeg codec
differences.

Photos, Music and Weather are working perfectly. DVD runs although I
don't have a DVD player (later I'll try to force it to play some Divx cd)
mythweb is installed (debian package) but is not appearing in main menu,
later I'll check it)

I'm offering my help, first for Portuguese translations, then for some
bugfixing (any oficial bugtracker ? what about mantis ;)).

I'm also thinking about a Radio application as my Hauppage has an FM
tunner builtin.

Sorry if this mail is confused but it's already 2am in here and I'm
still looking at myth sources :)))))))))))

Thanks!