[mythtv-users] PVR250 Improved Motion Encoding

Brian Foddy bfoddy at visi.com
Sat Aug 16 22:45:47 EDT 2003

On Saturday 16 August 2003 05:31 pm, Will Dormann wrote:
> >Are there settings I can change that will improve
> >motion?  I run 512x480 resolution, and don't have
> >tons of extra CPU (dual p2-450),
> >but disk performance is no problem.
>
> I use these settings:
>         /usr/local/bin/test_ioctl
> --set-codec-params=dnr_mode=3,dnr_spatial=2,dnr_temporal=4,dnr_type=0
>

> That should help your quality.   If your horizontal resolution isn't 720,
> you *may* see ghosting effects.

Thanks for the reply, I tried the settings.  I guess I
can't see any difference; but I don't know
in detail what they were supposed to do.
Its like any moving portion of
the image becomes a square block about 1/8 the normal resolution.
As soon as that portion stops, it looks fine.  From what
I know of the encoding algs, its probably the the small
encoding blocks. The 8/16 kbps should be high enough for
a relatively small resolution; HDTV (which I have)
is only 18 and it drives many times this res.
It just seems there must be some setting set too low.

Brian