[mythtv-users] My MythTV experience

Ken Bass kbass at kenbass.com
Mon Aug 18 18:08:37 EDT 2003

Will, your suggestions were most helpful. I was not aware of the
'deinterlace' checkbox option. I checked that box and there is a world of
difference with the TV-out through the ASUS Pundit onboard SIS chip.
I'm confused that you said the SiS TV Bridge deinterlaces internally. If it
deinterlaces, why would I need to turn playback deinterlace on in Mythtv?
Isn't that happening twice then?

Another thing I did was use the 'sisctrl' utility from www.winischhofer.net
to tweak the brightness and the gamma while looking at livetv and looking at
NTSC color bars.

The result of this trial and error was changes that needed to go into my
/etc/X11/XF86Config file. The changes I made are:

        # [sisctrl] TV related options
        Option "TVStandard" "NTSC"
        Option "SISTVAntiFlicker" "ADAPTIVE"
        Option "SISTVSaturation" "0"
        Option "SISTVColorCalibCoarse" "0"
        Option "SISTVColorCalibFine" "0"
        Option "SISTVCFilter" "true"
        Option "SISTVYFilter" "0"
        Option "SISTVXScale" "0"
        Option "SISTVYScale" "0"
        Option "TVXPosOffset" "0"
        Option "TVYPosOffset" "0"

        # [sisctrl] Xv related options
        Option "XvDefaultContrast" "1"
        Option "XvDefaultBrightness" "35"
        Option "XvDefaultHue" "-4"
        Option "XvDefaultSaturation" "3"

        Option "StoredGammaBrightnessRed" "900"
        Option "StoredGammaBrightnessGreen" "1000"
        Option "StoredGammaBrightnessBlue" "1000"
        Option "StoredGammaPreBrightnessRed" "1000"
        Option "StoredGammaPreBrightnessGreen" "1000"
        Option "StoredGammaPreBrightnessBlue" "1000"

The current CVS ivtv driver is not letting me change brightness, etc. Once
that it fixed, I'm not sure if mythtv will override my settings or not.
These should be settings 'post' the PVR-250 anyhow.

The ASUS Pundit does not have an AGP port so most newer video cards are not
supported. With only 2 PCI slots (hoping to put in 2 PVR-250's) my design
selection of the ASUS was based on it having a decent on board TV-Out.
While the Pundit looks nice, is small, and it quiet--I'm staring to second
guess if the limited expandability is going to bug me.

With the software deinterlacing and the color changes the live tv looks
close to the original broadcast @ 576x480 NTSC-M resolution.