[mythtv-users] Re: Redhat 9, Mythgame (0.10 and 0.11) and MAME

Jarod C. Wilson jcw at wilsonet.com
Tue Aug 19 13:07:39 EDT 2003

On Tuesday, Keith C wrote:

> I had this problem following Jarod's guide.  I found two different ways
> to fix it:
> 1. Compile xmame myself. This was fine, but I never got full screen
> working
> 2. Install xmame-SDL. This worked great.  I just had to change my Game
> Setting in myth to use xmame.SDL

Did you have to install xmame-SDL as an additional package? I thought
it was installed along with xmame by the apt-get install xmame
command...

To answer my own question, I just tried with a system that had no xmame
at all on it. apt-get install xmame installs both xmame and xmame-SDL.

> Actually, I kind of wonder about the guide's install of xmame.  He only
> asked for "xmame", when he probably needed "xmame-x11".  Oh well, I
> only
> tried xmame-SDL, not xmame-x11.

xmame-x11 insists on running in window mode all the time. xmame-SDL
works quite nicely in fullscreen, with either /usr/bin/xmame or
/usr/bin/xmame.SDL for the binary path (and I have no xmame-x11
installed). I think something changed between the mythgame 0.10 and
0.11 rpm packages, because I don't recall having to change that setting
before, and the default now appears to be /usr/bin/xmame.x11... I'll
check with Axel about that.

Also, I'm noticing a problem with MythGame, in that any change I make
to the binary location requires a quit and restart of mythfrontend to
actually have an effect. Anyone else seeing similar behavior?...

-jcw