[mythtv-users] Re: Redhat 9, Mythgame (0.10 and 0.11) and MAME

m0j0.j0j0 m0j0 at foofus.net
Tue Aug 19 18:16:13 EDT 2003

> > FYI, I found that I had to hack mamehandler.cpp to use '-x11-mode 3'
> > rather than '-fullscreen' to get fullscreen with the new version of
> > Xmame. Xmame-x11 no longer takes the '-fullscreen' option.
>
> For Red Hat users, at least those using ATrpms and freshrpms binaries,
> hacking mamehandler.cpp won't quite work. :)
>
> The good news is that switching to /usr/bin/xmame.SDL works perfectly
> in fullscreen mode without any extra work beyond changing your path
> (and possibly quitting and restarting mythfrontend). This assumes
> you've installed xmame w/ 'apt-get install xmame', which installs xmame
> and xmame.SDL from freshrpms.
>
> -jcw

Setting the xmame.x11 suid root (chown u+s xmame.x11) seems to also fix
the fullscreen issue. No hacking involved... ;)

The MythGame code looks like it might not be exactly right for X11
fullscreen mode.

<snip>
fullscreen = (game_settings.fullscreen == 1) ? " -x11-mode 1" :
                                 " -fullscreen";
</snip>

"x11-mode 1" is fullscreen DGA mode, which requires root privs.
"fullscreen" is fullscreen Xv. There doesn't appear to be an intentional
non-fullscreen option.

I don't really know what the pros/cons of SDL/DGA/Xv/whatever modes are.
I'll go with DGA for now and hope it's a good one. I'm trying to stick
with X11 display in the hopes that I can get lirc to send my remote
control commands to Xmame. No luck so far...

Joe