[mythtv-users] Re:DVB cards that work in Linux with MythTV

Wed Aug 20 17:50:46 EDT 2003

In fact the hardware decoder is NOT used/supported at all at the moment.  So investing in a budget card is quite sufficient

Output is via mpeg decoding to your xdisplay, and out via your video card.  To get it on the tv you need to look at the tv out options from your video card, rather than what's available on the DVB card (if you see what I mean)

If you want to access encrypted channels you should drop Kenneth Aafløy a message though.  I'm not sure to what extent this is supported right now.

Ed W

-----Original Message-----
From: Juha [mailto:juhis at trinity.is-a-geek.com]
Sent: 20 August 2003 16:04
To: mythtv-users at mythtv.org
Subject: [mythtv-users] Re:DVB cards that work in Linux with MythTV

Hi there,

Here's a few possibly stupid questions, just to make sure. I'm new to
MythTV: Do the budget versions really work also, i.e. the mpeg2 decoder
in hardware isn't needed? Is it possible to watch TV with a budget card
and do the decoding in software, or is it just possible to record shows
with budget cards? If a premium dvb card (i.e. a card with a hw decoder)
is used, does one have to use the tv-out of the dvb card or is it
possible to use another card for output to tv?

So you see, I'm new to this, but eagerly waiting for more info, I'm very
close to investing in a dvb-c card, just have to make sure what kind of
card's the best choise.

Thanks in advance,

Juhis