[mythtv-users] Re: Yes, the ATrpms MythDVD module is incomplete

Jarod C. Wilson jcw at wilsonet.com
Wed Aug 20 11:56:24 EDT 2003

On Wednesday, I wrote:

> Notice to everyone using ATrpms MythTV:
>
> Yes, the MythDVD module from ATrpms is currently incomplete. For some
> reason or another, the rpm build process has errors when a non-root
> user attempts to build the module, but they are non-fatal and easy to
> miss. Thus an rpm is written out, though it is incomplete. That's why
> it is installing, but not showing up in MythTV (the key libmythdvd.so
> file isn't ever installed). Like I've mentioned before, Axel is out of
> town, with only dial-up access back to his build system and no way to
> completely test everything, so just be happy he's taken the time to do
> as much as he has right now! (Everyone say thank you to Axel :). I've
> written him about the problem, so when he has a chance, I'm sure an
> updated, working module will make its way to ATrpms.
>
> For the anxious, here:
>
> # rpm -Uvh http://centerplex.net/mythtv/mythdvd-0.11-3.rh9.at.i386.rpm
>
> I built it using Axel's spec files, but as root (I know, you aren't
> supposed to, but I'm not that great a rpm building just yet and I
> didn't know another quick way around the build error, so I cheated).
> The module now shows up on my system, and plays DVDs from it without
> problem, but I have yet to mess with the ripping functionality (I use
> forty-two for that, usually... :)

Argh! That rpm isn't functional either. Don't use it. I don't get the
same error messages when building as a non-root user, but it appears
the binary files aren't being written to the correct place by rpmbuild,
and thus aren't getting included in the actual package, but somehow got
installed on my system by rpmbuild, so I have a working setup on my
build machine, but it won't work on another machine. D'oh!

The good news is that Axel was able to correct the build problem, and
post up what looks to be a fully functional version on ATrpms (note the
file size has jumped from a few kB to 996kB). So please, use that one!
(Thank you again, Axel!)

--Jarod