[mythtv-users] Re:modules.conf for ivtv + bttv

William Powers wepprop at sbcglobal.net
Thu Aug 21 21:16:32 EDT 2003

Ok, well, I wrote a patch for the ivtv drivers that allows one to set the
tuner type for the ivtv card from within the ivtv driver instead of
requring it be set externally.

http://www.poptix.net/ivtv/current/msg00218.html

This allows ivtv to "play well" with bttv such that an ivtv and a bttv card
with dissimilar tuner types can both be used within the same system.  That
was all that it took to get the two tuners to work together in MythTV for
Live TV w/ PIP.  However, now I'm hung up on Live TV while recording and/or
simultaneous recording.

Question:  Is there any way to directly associate a TV recording profile
with a capture card?  The situation now is that even though both cards will
play together for PIP, I can't get the second card (the bttv card) to
display Live TV while the ivtv card is recording unless I go into setup, in
the recording profile section, and change the encoding method for the 'Live
TV' profile from 'Hardware MPEG' to 'MPEG-4" or 'MJPEG' (or whatever their
called).

I presume I would have similar difficulties if/when I attempted to use both
cards for recording:  In cases where I can determine ahead of time which
card the scheduler will use for each recording, I can probably use the
advance recording dialog to set the proper profile for the card that will
actually be used.  But my family will never figure out all of that.

 From a practical standpoint, I'm inclined now to save my pennies for a
second Hauppage card.  However, the ability to deal appropriately with
multiple tuner cards of different type would appear to be a desirable
feature.  Assuming that it is not somehow possible now, I would suggest
providing the ability to select a 'default' profile for each Capture Card
and/or Video Source in the backend setup.  That 'default' profile could
then be overridden from the advanced recording dialog.

Bill