[mythtv-users] RE: Commerical Skip problem

Chris Pinkham cpinkham at bc2va.org
Fri Aug 22 01:04:23 EDT 2003

> > I'll make a note on my TODO list to look into that if I get time.  Right
> now
> > I'm working on Rating Symbol (U.S. requires these on all shows) and logo
> > detection code.
> That caught my eye....  are you hoping to add this as a way to make the
> commercial detection more accurate, or as another method of detection in it
> of itself?

Will probably use those to enhance current methods.  I've been thinking of
adding a "probability" detection method as well that would use the various
info collected and use a weighted sum to determine where commercials start/end.

I have the ratings code detecting when the ratings symbol starts and ends
for a few samples that I've tried (from different shows/channels).  Usually
I've seen ratings codes show during the first few seconds of a show, but I
occasionally see them in the little 5-10 second commercials stations show
for upcoming shows right before the show you're watching starts.  Because
of that I might not add the rating detection information to the current
methods, but may start on the weighted method to see if I can get more
accurate for some shows and for people who the blank frame stuff doesn't
work at all.

I'm still tossing around ideas on how to rate/weigh things though to
determine the probability that a specific second or frame of video is part
of a commercial.

--

Chris